Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Chronicles of Narco - Dec 22 2007 - Follow a Line?

So my Pleo came out for his third battery charge last night. My wife and I played and interacted with him for a while and I remembered a post I had read on the forum about someone's Pleo following a line on the floor.
I decided to grab an orange ribbon and stretch it on the floor to see what Pleo would do. On the first attempt (not recorded) he seemed to walk up to the ribbon, examine it, then turn to walk along it. It looked like it was true that Pleo would perform this behavior, so I grabbed my camera and took a few videos of further attempts.

If your volume is up you will hear myself and my wife commenting on the behavior and talking to my Pleo.

Attempt 1, Pleo (or, as we call him, Narco) made for the ribbon and apparently followed it. Narco seems to follow the ribbon but gets distracted by a plastic silver ornament.

Attempt 2, Narco seems to follow the ribbon again, but this time he apparently examines the ribbon several times. It also looks like he stops when he sees our cat's (Alex) tail on the ribbon. Maybe because it looks like the line stops?


Attempt 3, Narco starts at more of an angle to the ribbon and pretty much completely ignores it.


Attempt 4, Narco again ignores the ribbon.


Attempt 5, Narco ignores the ribbon at first, then appears to follow the ribbon, but it may just be a very wide right turn.


We'll try more interaction and experiments tonight. I plan on taking the mirror out again and see if Narco can mute himself again.


P.S.-> Special thanks to ugobeSarah's "narcolepsy" post, which led to naming our Pleo "Narco"!

No comments: