Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Chronicles of Narco - Jan 25 2008 - Narco, Meet Max

This was the 5th battery charge for the new Narco.
For anyone interested, the first Narco has been returned due to the tail issues. Narco lives on through the new fella.
In my opinion, if there was actually a distinct personality in the current limited LifeOS there is no way I could have named the new Pleo "Narco" and just sent the old one away so easily. However, since they were pretty much identical in sounds and actions (just like every other Pleo I've seen in online videos) I have no problem at all keeping the name alive in a different "shell".

For this post we have a 'Pleo meets Aibo' video for you. I know that there have been others of this type already, but I guess it's just my turn to do it. For your information, Narco is a Pleo (as you already know) and Max is a Sony Aibo ERS-7m3.
There are several cute sections in the video - I hope you enjoy it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having never seen Aibo in action before, from this video Max seems to be a bit superior to Pleo in terms of mobility and awareness. Do you feel that's true?

And how does their battery performance compare?

Joe Young said...

Hello,

Yes, an Aibo is far superior to a Pleo in terms of mobility and awareness. The battery lasts just about the same amount of time when in autonomous mode. A big benefit for the Aibo is that it can self-charge when the battery is low. You can see the charging station in the right of the video. These advantages come with a couple BIG "gotchyas", however.
1 - Aibos are no longer in production. Pleos just began production.
2 - When Aibos were in production the model you see in this video (ERS-7m3) cost around $1800 retail. Pleo costs $350 (or less) retail.

Considering price, availability, and future growth, the Pleo is the platform of today.
As long as UGOBE (Pleo's Manufacturer) keeps their customers happy and their products affordable, I think the future is very bright for Pleo!

MIKE NONE (aka) Micresendo3000 said...

Cool stuff! I personally never was impressed by the Aibo. Its just too robotic for me if that makes any sense.